Iowa Purple Martin Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:09 pm 

The Endangered Species Act in under attack. Here are two letters that appeared in yesterday's (7/25) New York Times. Please take a few minutes to let your legislators know how you feel. Thanks.

Jim Walters
Johnson County Songbird Project

To the Editor:

Re:"Interior's Plan for Softening Wildlife Shield" (front page, July 20):

Over the past week, we have observed a historic, coordinated effort to dismantle the Endangered Species Act. Inevitably, both sides of the debate will turn to economics to make their case for or against this powerful piece of legislation.

One side will claim that the value of the plants and animals protected under the law does not exceed the cost of foregone economic activity; the other will argue that there is a price to pay for loss of biodiversity, ecosystem services or opportunities to bolster ecotourism.

While I wholeheartedly believe that one can make an economic case in favor of the Endangered Species Act, I find myself dismayed that it may come to that. Economics aside, why can we not recognize that a greater diversity of flora and fauna enhances our quality of life? Are you not awestruck when observing a killer whale leap out of Puget Sound? Are you not humbled when a wolf howls in the distance? Are you not overjoyed upon stumbling into a patch of wild orchids?

I recently took a group of high school students birding in the Union Bay Natural Area in Seattle. I pointed out numerous water birds as we walked the shoreline. Just as I expected, within minutes a mature bald eagle flew overhead. The students gasped in awe, frantically focusing their binoculars to better observe the bird as it circled the bay. "An eagle!" one of the students squealed, much to my delight.

A bird on the brink of extinction in the 1970s soared above us and, in that moment, we felt lighter. In that moment, we felt connected, engaged and inspired. What are the economics of inspiration?

Olivia V. Sanderfoot, Seattle
The writer is a National Science Foundatiion graduate research fellow at the School of Environmental and Forest Sciences, University of Washington.

To the Editor:

Those of us who love monarch butterflies are heartbroken, first at the death of the naturalist Lincoln Brower, and ow reading the headlines about threats to the Endangered Species Act. Professor Brower was a petitioner for protected status of the monarch in 2014, always hoping that mankind would do what was necessary to preserve the marvelous migration of a species he studied for more than half a century.

Those of you lucky enough to have a patch of milkweed in you neighborhood should watch for a monarch gently arching her abdomen to lay eggs, or the energetic chewing of a striped caterpillar, keeping your eyes out for a jeweled chrysalis or an emerging butterfly. Then go to your computer and write to your government representatives and the Fish and Wildlife Service, adding your voice to those who champion what should not be lost.

Rachel Fink, South Hadley, Mass.
The writer is a professor of biological sciences at Mount Holyoke College. Lincoln Brower was her brother-in-law.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 am 

Mr Dave
Thanks for the Heads-up on this " sensitive " subject!
Might this be a result of the Asphalt Jungle/Chemical Soup that surrounds us :?:
We need to make our Voices heard!