My 2020 Home Site Updates

avesrun

My 2020 Home Site Updates

Post by avesrun » 19 Apr 2020, 12:15

Home site update and background:
An ASY male/female pr has returned for 2020!
They've been in/out of a Supergourd w/Troyer tunnel that was used successfully last season. They have great timing in that we are now bouncing back from fairly extreme cold/snowy weather period and bug hunting should be adequate in the 7 day outlook.

My home site has been an 8yr work in progress saga. Frequent Martin visitors in the early yrs with no nesting and a couple pole location changes, lots of tree cutting, and many attraction techniques attempted. House sparrows have been eradicated to near extirpation with newcoming Hosp immediately eliminated.

Had ONE successful nest 4 yrs ago followed by zero the next. Had loyne asy Male that season that failed to find mate. Had 3 successful nests last season and hoping to increase that number in 2020.
Have a great 2020 season everyone!

phldave

Re: My 2020 Home Site Updates

Post by phldave » 19 Apr 2020, 15:14

Tim, It’s good to hear things are starting to happen at your home site. How are things going at pm lake site? Hopeful that some pm’s will take to my new improved site this year. All I’ve done so far it trap house sparrows.
Dave
Dave

2012 Late start
2013 Nothing yet, 1 rester, 1 looker
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again

avesrun

Re: My 2020 Home Site Updates

Post by avesrun » 23 Apr 2020, 16:20

Hi Dave- Pmlake public site is filling up. Maybe 50 martins plus or minus? They seem to be adjusting ok to the owl cage. Glad I cut several 4x4 openings in the 2x4 cage. They're using them but also make it thru the 2x4 openings too. My year 'round sparrow elimination has paid off as I'm seeing little to no House sparrows at either site. I expect another invasion anytime.

At my home site as of 4/23 I have around 5 or 6 ASY males and just one asy female. How much longer would you say ASY martins will continue to arrive in Iowa? Would be nice to gain a few more asy females before the sy migration kicks in......Thank you!
TimG