Hi all

Rob sydow

Hi all

Post by Rob sydow » 16 May 2020, 09:32

Good morning,
Thank you Dave helping me get my password figured out. Seen my first female sy marting today sitting on my marting house with an adult Male, going in and out of all my new Conley2 holes. I hope they stay.
Thank you
Rob

Rob sydow

Re: Hi all

Post by Rob sydow » 16 May 2020, 13:18

Picture of my martin houses with conley2 holes.
Attachments
Martins.jpg
Martins.jpg (170.55 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Dave Duit
Original Join Date: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 am

Post by Dave Duit » 16 May 2020, 15:46

Hi Rob,
Welcome to the website and forum and being our latest member. We appreciate every member and you are like family. Thank you for the beautiful picture. I also used Conley II entrances as I think they do a great job keeping out the starlings. We all hope and pray that your martins stay for you this season. It is good to know that we were able to get the password figured out for you. If you need anything, please feel free to send us an email. dave@iamartin.org. On a side note, you may have noticed that we moved all our listed mentors on the forum thread titled Iowa Mentors. We no longer use the mentor map. If you have any purple martin people up your way, please feel free to share the website. They can register as usual and then send me an email. One of the most popular and most visited sections on the forum is the "ASY and SY arrival reports". Every day, I update the lsit and members can refer back to previous years to see when they had their first arrivals. The questions and answers thread are loaded with great info as does the links pages.

Rob sydow

Re: the adult pair

Post by Rob sydow » 24 May 2020, 09:11

Good morning,
After I took that picture last Saturday, we got a lot of rain and weather for a few days and the Martin's didnt come back but this last Thursday they came back! They have been staying over night ever since.
I haven't seen any more young Martin's since last week, I was wondering if the are still coming through?
Thanks Rob

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit » 24 May 2020, 20:31

Hi Rob,
The SY martins are still coming into the state. Today, May 24th I had an additional 15 sy arriving at my location. If you have an ASY hanging around he will try to pull in as many as he can. Best of luck this season my friend.

Rob sydow

Post by Rob sydow » 25 May 2020, 08:58

Hi Dave,
You must have a large colony. I would like to see a picture of it some day.
The last few days have been exciting here at my Martin house. My adult PMS keep bringing other PMS back with them. Most of them are females. Any males that land on the house my male chases them away. Some times it's a fight to the ground.
This morning I seen a Sy male coming around with a lady so hopefully my ASY doesn't chase them away.
Thanks
Rob

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit » 25 May 2020, 17:33

Hi Rob,
Yes, you are right; I do have a large colony here in central part of the state. I offer 83 cavities, 59 gourds and 4 grandpa style metal houses with 24 cavities, each 12 inches deep. I will try to get some pics of my colony on this thread after I get back from Canada on June 7th or 8th. My neighbor will be watching my colony for me during the week. It is good to hear that the females are coming in with the help of the ASY males. The other males will still stay around even with the territorial male. It is a matching game for pairing up they play until enough females show up. I see many fight on the ground on a daily basis at my place. It appears pretty brutal, but all works out in the end. Nature and the way it works can seem tough to us humans. Is this the first year for you having martins at your place or have you had some in the past years ? On a side note about the forum. There isn't much action on the forum and only a handful of members utilize it. So don't get discouraged if you don't see a response to a thread or two. It is much like the PMCA forum, of the thousands of PMCA members only about 40-50 people even use it. The most popular thread on our website that gets the most views is the yearly ASY and SY arrivals entries. I check it every day and update it as soon as I see them come in. Members like to compare their arrival dates to prior years. Thanks Rob.

Dave Duit

Rob sydow

Post by Rob sydow » 28 May 2020, 21:11

Hi Dave
I have had a colony about 15 years ago. About 5 pairs. Had to move and say good by to the Martins until this year. This is my first year at my new house. So far I have 2 pairs staying the night for the last week and a half. So I am a bit excited.
I was thinking about hanging 4 Troyer gourds under the two house next year. What's your thoughts?
Rob

Dave Duit

Post by Dave Duit » 29 May 2020, 20:02

Hi Dave
I have had a colony about 15 years ago. About 5 pairs. Had to move and say good by to the Martins until this year. This is my first year at my new house. So far I have 2 pairs staying the night for the last week and a half. So I am a bit excited.
I was thinking about hanging 4 Troyer gourds under the two house next year. What's your thoughts?
Rob

Hi Rob,
It is good to see that you have been a landlord for many years. It is great to hear that 2 pair are staying around at your new place. Hanging 4 Troyer gourds after the martins migrate south to Brazil just prior to their return next spring sounds like an excellent idea. Martins seem to like a variety of housing to choose. I just added 10 gourds under my metal housing 4 plex for this season and already 4 pair have claimed them as their own. I love the Troyer Horizontal gourds with conley 2 entrances. I met and spoke with Andrew Troyer a few years ago and he is a super guy. I attend the Kalona Iowa Purple Martin Workshop and Seminar every year. I met Andrew at one of these events. About 4 years ago I had the honor of presenting at the seminar. P.S. I will be gone for a week or two in northern Minnesota, so if you don't hear from me for a while, you know where I'll be. My neighbor takes care of my colony during my absence and keeps a keen eye on my place.

Rob sydow

Post by Rob sydow » 01 Jun 2020, 18:32

Hi all
After you get a pair to stay, how long before they start making their meats?
Any of you Iowa landlords have Martin's stated building nests? I have a SY pair for about two and half weeks now
Thanks
Rob